Friday, July 5, 2013

Dogs, fine friends they are

A friend recently had to decide if it was time for her beloved dog to be put down. After thinking long and hard about the pain and suffering it recently started experiencing, and the quick increase in suffering, she decided it was indeed more humane to let her furry companion go. When I heard the news my heart fluttered.

In contrast, my grandmother is keeping her dog long past his expiration date. He is over 16, lost vision, is mostly deaf, and hasn't had bladder control in years. While I do suspect she is operating in self interest, it makes sense.  She's 91, lives alone, and still, for the most part, cares for him as best she can. Aside from blind, deafness and bladder issues, he does still get around and he knows his surroundings, so if he goes outside he still gets himself back inside. The thought of letting him go always brings her to tears. I'm not sure how she will take it if he passes naturally at the house, but I suspect that is his destiny.

Both situations are sad, no doubt. Loss of a pet is the loss of a true friend. This is the one that slept with you, or beside your bed, got excited when you came home, and always wanted a little more attention so it could give you a little more unconditional love.

May my friend's buddy rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment