Monday, August 5, 2013

New Phone New Ways of Operating

I held onto my BlackBerry Torch as long as I could. It started failing a year ago with sudden battery loss, to zero, if I talked more than five minutes. Then about two months ago the cannon ball effect began. I would take a picture, then the battery would immediately die. I plugged the phone in and it was recharged within half an hour. This spread to taking videos, and the last straw was I couldn't surf the internet or use online apps without immediately draining the battery. Bummer!

So online research revealed that buying a replacement battery, which may or may not have totally solved the problem, actually cost more than just getting a new phone via Amazon. Amazon seriously rules, by the way. Thanks to this awesome one-stop-shop site I found a brand new Samsung Galaxy S3 for $29, and even after the AT&T fee (buttheads!) it was cheaper than going to any AT&T or AT&T authorized shop where the phone was on sale for $99.  Go me :)

Last Tuesday the phone arrived at my office.  I sent Lisa the first text, or so I thought. Then I worked on adding apps - 38 that day. The next day I thought about screen layout and played with that, as well as adding in contacts.  Last Thursday it occurred to me that I hadn't received any responses to the various texts I'd been sending. Hmm. A quick call to AT&T revealed that, even though I called two days be fore the phone got to me to check, there was indeed no text plan associated with my Galaxy S3. WTF???? All I wanted to do was swap out my BBRY for the GS3 and call it good. The old voice, text, and data plans worked just fine...silly me for thinking they would stay the same. Anyway, the guy told me I had to get plan the plan with unlimited texts etc because I have a smartphone.  Whatever, it just annoyed me that the plans don't stay regardless of the smartphone you replace an old one with. Guess that explains why it asked me to pick a text plan when I was buying it. For some reason I just thought the family plan I pay for covered that base. Oh well.

Once that was sorted out I started working on ringtones.  Today I discovered the secret path to success. It's a lot more involved than I expected, but after hooking up to the pc, I was able to drag and drop songs into the right places and now have text specific and call specific ringtones. Woot Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment