Tuesday, August 2, 2011

First Time

So this is my first time blogging.  Going to be an interesting experience. My day started with a call from the city code compliance officer who inspected my neighbor's place.  I had called the city folks to ask if there were rules on the use of communal driveways.  The driveway leading to my garage is blocked by a massive trailer the neighbors plopped in between the houses.  Unfortunately, it turns out that if it's communal property, the city could care less and you have to seek a civil resolution (i.e. sue).

Backing up a little, I came into possession of the cottage approximately a month ago when my father passed away.  This has been one of the hardest months of my life, and sure hasn't been helped by the random hazards I keep encountering.  The fridge and dryer were already broken when I surveyed the cottage, so I bought a new washer, dryer and fridge, only to discover the microwave, stove/oven and water heater are also on the fritz.  I didn't realize appliances died when original owners passed, oy vey.  Little things keep popping up and draining what money I have, but that's life, or at least my life.

So the second phone call today was made by me to my insurance company.  I called them last week to change which bank account they used to auto-pay my car and renter's insurance.  I was assured the changes were effective immediately.  Then I got the e-mail today from the old bank saying the insurance payment had cleared, and I'm overdrawn.  I called my insurance company and, half an hour later, they decided to reimburse the old bank, wait five days and call me back for information on the new bank, again. 

At least I wrote my last rent check and gave notice to my landlord, the one thing that went right so far.  Next up, introducing the cats my former roommate had to the dog I inherited from my dad.  Hope the dog leaves the cats alone!  I'll let you know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment